Category: For Kids
NINJA SMACKDOWN – Thank You Wolf Pack!!
Join us for the first stop on the inaugural Ninja Smackdown series!
We’ve confirmed Wolf Pack members Brian Arnold, Ian Dory, Noah Kaufman & Meagan Martin will be at The Spot for Finals!
The series includes:
The Spot, Boulder Sept 26th
Earth Treks, Golden Oct 10th
Apex Movement, Boulder Nov 14th
Ninja Smackdown is a sick new event, where The Spot will be filled with ninja obstacles, styled after the popular American Ninja Warrior show. Not only do you get to test your ninja skills, but if you come to the evening Finals you’ll get to meet members of the world-famous Wolf Pack! Be a ninja! Meet the ninjas! www.ninjasmackdown.com
RESULTS FOR SEP 26 HERE:
Adult Results (coming Monday)
FINALS Top-5 RESULTS
- Lance Hering
- Jake Murray
- Max Manson
- Kyle Allen
- Matt Wilder
- 9:00am – Registration opens for youth divisions
- 10:00am – Competition begins for youth divisions
- 1:00pm – Competition ends for youth divisions
- 2:00pm – Registration opens for adult divisions
- 3:00pm – Competition begins for adult divisions
- 6:00pm – Competition ends for adult divisions
- 7:00pm – Finals
- Four co-ed divisions: 11 & under, 12-15, Recreational (16 & over), Open (16 & over)
- Two sessions with 200 max competitors (First up to 15yo, Second 16 & over)
- Three categories of obstacle will be assigned higher point values based on category difficulty.
- Once a competitor begins an obstacle that attempt counts.
- Competitors earn 100% of points for an obstacle completion on the first attempt, 80% for completion on the second attempt, and 60% for completion on third or later attempts.
- Each competitor’s final score is the sum of the top 5 point values they earned.
- The top 10 Open competitors will advance to Finals
- Finals will be judged by stopwatch, and will consist of a course that links 4-8 obstacles together
- $35 pre-registration, $30 pre-registration for Spot members, $40 at the door (if spaces are left, 100 for youth, 100 for adults)
- Spectators are free prior to Finals
- $10 spectator tickets for Finals (available up to capacity)
- All competitors get a spectator ticket to Finals
- Additional raffle tickets will be available (all competitors and spectators get a ticket)
THANKS TO THESE AWESOME SPONSORS!
SUMMER CAMPS AT THE SPOT – TAKE THE KIDDOS CLIMBING!
HAVE FUN CLIMBING THIS SUMMER!
Here at The Spot we’ve learned at least one thing after a decade of hosting youth summer programs: it’s gotta be fun! So we focus on making sure your kids have a blast. Our instructors all have years of experience teaching youth programs in an encouraging environment while maintaining the highest standards of safety.
We offer these summer programs:
Summer Indoor Climbing Camp 2015
Register for Summer Indoor Climbing Camp 2015 here.
The Spot’s Summer Indoor Climbing Camp is a week-long day camp for kids that want to learn to climb or already love it. We’ll spend our time bouldering, top-roping, playing active games, team-building and slacklining, all in our well air-conditioned facility. There are no prerequisites and we welcome 6-12 year old kids of all abilities. A few details:
- Each session runs for 5 days Monday through Friday
- Held every week from June 1st through August 14th
- Choose mornings (9am-Noon), afternoons (1pm-4pm) or both
- The rate is $250/week for mornings or afternoons, $450/week for both sessions, which includes rental shoes
- We offer 10% off any additional weeks of camp after your first week
- Month memberships are also available to participants at discounted rates: $25/month (under 12 year olds) or $45/month (13-18 year olds)
- Kids should bring snacks and water
Register for Summer Indoor Climbing Camp here.
The Spot’s Youth Club is our popular year-round, once-a-week after-school program for 7-12 year old climbers looking to explore the sport. This introductory program has less commitment but still plenty of opportunity to progress in climbing technique. Youth Club participants also get a full month membership, so they can return to climb as often as they want.
- Each session runs one afternoon per week for a month
- Held all year long
- Choose Wed or Fri, 4:30pm-6:30pm
- Cost: $125/month which includes a month membership and rental shoes
- Kids should bring snacks and water
To register for Youth Club contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reservation & Cancellation Policy
- Space is limited. We always try to accommodate late signups, but sometimes cannot, so register early!
- 50% deposit required to register
- Cancellations made more than 14 days prior to the first camp day are eligible for reschedule or full refund
- Cancellations made 8-14 days prior to the first camp day are eligible for reschedule OR 50% of deposit is non-refundable
- Cancellations made 3-7 days prior to the first camp day are eligible for reschedule OR 100% of deposit is non-refundable
- Cancellations made less than 3 days prior to the first camp day are not eligible for reschedule AND 100% of deposit is non-refundable
SBSX DYNO MITE WAS SICK! PHOTOS & RESULTS POSTED
This was the last stop of SBSX … our high-flying Dyno Mite! Come test yourself on all-new comp problems and try to huck the huge monster dynes. Thanks or the EVOL burritos, Avery beer, a pro finals sponsored by Kingdom & Pusher holds, and all the sponsors who made the enormous $5000+ raffle happen!
unofficial youth and adult results
photos on Facebook
11:00 AM – Doors open for Youth
12:00 PM – Youth start
1:00 PM – Food served
3:00 PM – Youth end
3:00 PM – Youth raffle
4:00 PM – Doors open for Adults
5:00 PM – Adult start
6:30 PM – Food and Avery beer served
8:00 PM – Adult end
8:00 PM – Dyno comp
Finals to follow
Raffle to follow
Note: the gym will be closed to general climbing both the day of the event and the day prior. Members are able to climb for free those days at the Boulder Rock Club (thanks BRC friends!)
And a giant THANKS to our season partners below. Look them over, get to know them, and buy from them when you can. These businesses support what you do, so support them!
adidas Outdoor – Avery – EVOL Foods – HungryBuffs – LaSportiva – PepPod – Rab – Revolution – Skoop
APEX Movement – Clif Bar – Crimp Chimps – Easton Training Center – Max Muscle Boulder – Nite Ize – Olmec Apparel – Rally Sport Health & Fitness – Sender Films – Slackline Industries – Smith Optics – The Balm Bomb – Trainingbeta.com – Yoga Pod
CLIMBING HOLDS PROVIDED BY
Element – ENIX – Groperz – Kilter – Kingdom – PUR – Pusher – Urban Plastix
MEET OUR NEW HEAD COACH ALEX STIGER
Alex began climbing at 16 in Texas, moved to Boulder at 20, and was an integral part of our staff here at The Spot for several years. After leaving to pursue a professional career outside of climbing, she realized that climbing and training are her main passion in life and recommitted herself to climbing not only as an activity but also as her career.
Alex brings years of training, fitness, and competitive experience to her new position. In addition to climbing competitively, she’s been a competitive chess player since the age of 14 and also practices and competes in dancing. She is an avid consumer of all the latest climbing and training literature and has designed our curriculum based on the knowledge she has gleaned from her studies and from fellow coaches and trainers. Alex is extremely excited to bring her knowledge to The Spot team to help climbers of all ages and abilities achieve their potential and have fun doing it.
Hometown: Killeen, Texas
Hobbies: Chess, Breakdancing
Music: Almost everything
Vacation: Anywhere I travel to for climbing, chess, or dancing. My favorite climbing destinations so far are The Red River Gorge, KY and Bishop, CA.
Movie: Spirited Away
Book: Chess Books
Quote: “To give the maximum effort at the precise moment it is needed. This is power.” – Fred Nicole
Climbing since: I first went climbing when I was 15 years old while on a chess cruise to Alaska, one of the “not chess day” options was the climbing wall.
Why did you join the team at The Spot?
When I decided to move to Boulder from Texas in 2009, my goal was to work at the Spot. The Spot has become my family away from home for the 3+ years I have been part of the team.
What do you love about working at The Spot so far?
Being immersed in climbing culture. The Spot represents Bouldering from the inside out.
Why do you climb?
Why I started to climb was because I thought it was a fun way to get super fit, achieve goals and make friends. I am still climbing because somewhere along the way I became a climber and can’t imagine ever doing anything else.
Where do you hope to be in 5 years?
5 years from now, I hope to still be Head Coach at the Spot, have climbed V10, 5.13+, and be a chess master.
BIRTHDAY PARTIES AT THE SPOT
Birthday Parties at The Spot are full of climbing fun, laughter and energy. We work with families to create unique and exciting parties that are filled with challenge, fun, and accomplishment. One and a half hours of supervised climbing & half hour access to party space. Please bring plates, utensils and cups with your cake and refreshments. Tables and chairs provided at our café.
All particpants will need a signed waiver.
Fill out our digital waiver here.
Ages: 6 and up
When: Call to schedule your next birthday party
*Minimum of six people
INTRODUCING IAN DORY AS NEW HEAD COACH
We’re excited to announce Ian Dory has been selected to be the Head Coach for The Spot Climbing Team!
Ian will be partnering with Josh Paton to bring The Spot an even higher level of coaching and training. Ian will be focusing on the hands on day to day of coaching while Josh hammers out all of the administrative aspects of managing our team.
After several years of working at The Spot as a coach and setter it’s great to see him stepping up to this important role. He’ll be working side by side with Josh and all the same great coaches you’ve gotten to know, but with some fresh energy to improve our team program this season. Ian will be handling curriculum planning, technical coaching as well as high-end training.
Ian has been climbing pretty much since he was born, and it has always been a defining aspect of his life. He has sent some of the hardest problems in the world and put up cutting-edge first ascents. Ian hopes to continue climbing hard and developing amazing and hard problems, as well as accomplish personal goals such as making the USA Bouldering Team and winning a World Cup.
Outside of climbing Ian enjoys working on the family farm, playing the drums, hanging out with his wife and playing with his dog. He loves giving back to the climbing community and enjoys clean ups at Hueco and Rifle. Ian promotes the Access Fund and enjoys educating and working with the next generation of climbers as a coach and motivator. He is also a full time student working towards a degree in finance with investment dreams as well.
Ian’s mantra: “Motivation is what drives me, passion is what makes me, and sending is what I live for.”
Checkout his website: www.iandory.com
Congrats to Ian on this new position!
Josh, Ian, and the rest of the coaches are looking forward to seeing all of you at Tryouts!
We’re looking for motivated students that are excited to climb and be a part of a great climbing team. Tryouts are held at The Spot and have no cost. There are four teams/clubs available depending on age and ability:
Competition “comp” Team
For the motivated youth climber that is interested in climbing competitively in local competitions as well as the ABS series. This team receives coaching and training at the highest level, including training from The Alpine Training Center. There is no age requirement.
For youth that are not as interested in competing yet love the sport of climbing. This is a great team for the climber that wants to get better at climbing but does not want much pressure. The main focus is on being a part of the team, technique, strength, and finding out if they enjoy competition. For ages 12-16.
For our youngest climbers to help them develop their skills and technique. We focus on fun while learning how to be a better climber and a great team member. For ages 8-12.
Wed OR Fri 4:30p-6:30p
For the entry level climbing student that may not be ready for the commitment to a team. This is not a “team” and the students do not need to tryout to be in Youth Club. There is no age requirement but most are young climbers.
Dues for all teams and clubs include month memberships.
SICC (Spot Indoor Climbing Camp)
Spot Indoor Climbing Camp
Ages 6-12 kids will divide into groups by age and ability
Two Sessions to choose from:
9am -12pm 6slots
1pm – 4pm 6slots
July 1-5 ($200 not meeting on the 4th)
$250 for 5 days ($200 for the camp on the week of Fourth of July)
$125 due at booking and $125 due the first day
Deposits are non-refundable